Saturday, August 30, 2008

What’s up Frito Lay?

I’m a little ticked at the Frito Lay company right now I’m going to copy them with this info. I have been enjoying their sunflower seeds for the last couple of months or so. They have a few different flavors and the I’ve been buying the smaller pack that has 190 calories per serving and for which the packaging states there is one serving per bag. I like this because I have an inclination toward 200 calorie or so items. Plus they are difficult and slow to eat, it takes me all day long to eat one pack. It’s great because they taste great and it feels like you are eating all day long. They are very high in calories and fat though, but this is the best kind of fat. Pretty much my only source.

My new Doctor wants me to journal all the food I’m eating on line at fitday.com. You can custom upload all the calories and or nutritional info yourself or select from fitday's options. It’s a lot quicker to use what fitday has already established and they appear to be quite accurate. When I went to use the fitday numbers I noticed that their seeds were nearly twice the amount of the Frito Lay packaging. Upon closer inspection it became clear that there is a typo on the Frito Lay label. Look at the scan to the right.

So instead of eating 190 calories a day (I have these everyday) I have been eating 380 calories. When you are on a 600-800 calorie a day diet that’s a huge shift in the wrong direction. I wonder how much of an effect this has really had. I hope they fix this quickly - I’m going to keep eating them, but half as much going forward.  

I weighed 256.7 today.  

2 comments:

Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs said...

Daniel:

We understand the confusion with the serving size of our sunflower seeds. Actually, the package is correctly labeled and our total weight takes into account the inedible hulls. The information on the nutrition facts panel reflects only the edible product. So, a 2.125 oz bag actually contains 1.0625 oz of edible product which is considered a single serving at about 190 calories. The information on FitDay.com shows that there are two 30 gram servings in this bag at 380 calories, but this is incorrect.

If you have more questions or need additional information, please call us at 1-800-352-4477 Monday through Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Frito-Lay Consumer Affairs

Daniel Brevick said...

thanks for the clarification! And the great PRODUCT!