Friday, July 25, 2008

Good run, odd run.

I had a really good run this morning, at about 3 minutes into my half-hour run I moved the MPH to 5. I kept it at 5 MPH for the rest of the run, burned 487 calories and for the sprint I moved it to 5.8. All of this is new territory for me. I was also at 1.49 miles for the total distance run. 

What was odd was that I listened to two love songs for the entire run. Jewel's Break Me and Tom Waits’ Johnsburg, Illinois. They came up on my iPod, and I just kept replaying them for the entire half hour. Now these are two of the greatest artists and I love these two songs, but the slower music isn't typically what motivates me on the run. I'm going to post the top ten exercise/running songs of all time soon on my website. While the list will only be my opinion, I happen to be right about this. 

My taste in music is certainly not mainstream - especially if the music that gets pumped into the workout facility represents mainstream, my God the music in that place is awful. A mix of disco, 80’s-90’s pop, the worst possible versions of re-released classics and (worst of all) Fill Me Up Buttercup and Dancing Queen! Anything by ABBA just should not be played except for historic purposes. The only song I ever heard there that represented something worth listening to was Cocaine by Eric Clapton. I do appreciate Clapton on a number of levels - but this particular song is completely inappropriate for the this facility, the content of the song. 

Anyway, since I'm a fan of Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Springsteen, PJ Harvey, Over The Rhine, and U2 and other artists who's lyrics are a little more intelligent,  I guess I won't be hearing anything I like there. Thank goodness for the iPod. Just too bad I can't keep it on while showering or in the hot tub. 

I weighed 278.8 tody

 

No comments: