Sunday, January 11, 2009

Everything seemingly fragile (my trip to the Emergency Room)

At the start of this endeavor to lose weight the weight dropped incredibly fast and most important - consistently. This generated a good deal of success and as I blogged numerous times success breeds success. NOW the gains I make are seemingly quite fragile. I feel like it's a real struggle to hold unto them. On Tuesday I weighed just 222.4, Wed 222.6, Thurs 224.4, Fri 226.8, yesterday 227.2. I over-ate just a little yesterday and today I weighed in at 233.2. Up six pounds since yesterday and almost 11 since Tuesday.

I'm working on a design project with a friend - worked all day yesterday after my run and at about 9:00 PM my stomach started hurting. I had been feeling a little tightening in my stomach over the last couple of weeks (I thought it might have been the increased running). I went to use the bathroom and found a pretty hard bulge in my abdomen. I drove home (about a 40 minute drive) I should have gone straight to the emergency room. The bulge became larger and more painful and I had to return to the Hospital. I had a hernia. It lasted for a couple of hours as I waited to be seen by a doctor and as he walked in the room the bulge returned to normal. Pretty good timing. They did a Cat Scan to see if there had been any tissue damage or not and thankfully there was none. They contemplated operating last night but since it went down and no real damage evident I was aloud to wait. I will schedule a meeting with a surgeon on Monday.

I want to put this off until I have some more weight off. I'd like to get both operations, the one to repair the abdomen wall (the hernia) and the one to remove the excess skin - at the same time.

I didn't get home from the ER until almost 6:00 am this morning. I slept till 9:00 am and got ready and came in to do my run. I ran 6 miles today. Despite a fairly rough night (last night) the run this morning was pretty good!

I've been feeling so strong physically lately because of all the running. Last night showed me how fragile the body can really be.

I weighed 233 today.

No comments: