Saturday, November 22, 2008

Art in the clinic

Today when I arrived at the gym I realized that I had forgot to bring my iPod (even though I had stopped at the office first). It's so cold out I decided to walk back to get it rather then drive. I figured the walk would do me good prior to the hour long run. A little warm up. My office is pretty far from the work out facility and the clinic has an intricate series of underground tunnels collectively referred to as the subway. It's an amazing institution and I'm constantly thankful to be a part of the effort. We're pretty much closed on the weekends and it's ungodly quiet. You walk under probably 10-12 different buildings as you go. Some floors are carpeted some are marble. And most every where you go are works of art. I pass at least 12-14 Andy Warhol pieces, Joan MirĂ³ paintings, sculpture by Auguste Rodin and dozens of others. I go a little out of my way to walk underneath a Dale Chihuly blown glass installation. It has thousands of pieces of glass weighing thousands of pounds. It's suspended about 30-40 feet above where I walk. It would be a shame to lose such a beautiful piece of art but were it to fall, what a poetic way to die, I'm pretty sure you'd bleed to death quite quickly. My daughter told me once that she wanted to die via a bear attack - I think I will choose to be crushed and severed by a Chihuly.

The best part of the walk though was when I was nearly back to my office I ran into one of the clerks from one of my favorite shops in the subway, she was just opening up. She stopped me to say how amazing my weight loss has been, she wanted to know how I was doing it so she could inform a family member. As we parted she then said - and you look so much younger now too - that made my day.

BY DECEMBER 1ST I WILL BE DOWN TO 229.2

I weighed 236.6 today

No comments: