Sunday, August 10, 2008

Emotions are too high

Not sure what the deal is exactly, but the weight loss or the diet or both seem to have my emotions running at extreme levels lately. As an artist I kind of feel like there's some crazy positive energy possible in this, like I could really do something astounding artistically or I should be, but the pressures of work lately, the demands of the film project, the demands of the exercise, of family - feels like I'm chasing after every free second just to deal with basics.

Never touched my painting yesterday, will have to - today for sure. I'm in a two-man art show in Lima Ohio with my brother Phil; it opens September 12th and runs through October 25th. It's an incredibly beautiful gallery and opportunity. These opportunities continue to happen for me. I think I'm just to the point where my work is starting to get good and where I have built somewhat of a body of work. I think I may travel to Ohio for the opening. I wasn't planning to, but right now with emotions riding high I feel I should be there.

I need to finish up some work related stuff, I have to log and report everything I plan to have in the Lima Ohio show today - figure out what needs to be framed yet, etc. I need to shoot a sequence to mark the down 100 mark, I need to finish my Federal and cut a matt. Finish blogging and posting. It's all got to be done today.

Back to the emotions, I’ve had Jimmy Eat World on - looping the song “Here You Me”, not a good idea when you're feeling emotional. I’ve been working on a fine art piece I call "Sharing the Air", it's a list of all the people I'm proud to say that I've breathed this planet’s oxygen with. I just received an e-mail from Denny Griffith (President of the Columbus College of Art and Design) - Joseph Canzani (former President of CCAD) passed away Friday morning. Mr. Canzani is on my list. 

Mr. Canzani - I'm really sad that we will no longer be sharing the air.” 

Anyone associated with art over the last 6 or so decades in the Columbus Ohio area will surely be grieving. I had him as an instructor in 1983, he was so fiercely passionate about great art, students both loved and feared him. He had an Italian accent, he was a real presence, a bigger then life presence and he had an enormous influence on all of us who were lucky enough to have known him or better still have been taught by him. My sophomore year a project my girl friend (now wife) and I worked on, a sensitive slide show about Vincent Van Gogh, got into the 1982 end of year show. This was quite an honor and probably the greatest highlight of my otherwise not so astounding college career. Mr. Canzani (and he alone) personally selected what got into this multi-media show. Not only did he choose this work, but also we were told he cried during it’s viewing. Today I repaid those tears. 

“Here You Me” has a line that says: “what would you think of me now?, so lucky, so strong, so proud, I never said thank you for that…”  - Thank you Mr. Canzani. Another line says: “May angels lead you in”. 

May they do so in the thousands. 

I weighed 266.6 today. 




No comments: