Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008 - my best year yet

OK – this has been a very interesting/challenging/emotional/exciting year! It’s hard to know where to begin. Most everything that has happened this year centers around or is the result of my efforts to (A) lose 200 lbs in less then a year and (B) create a documentary film (my first) about the weight loss.

I guess I will start with the weight loss:
In March of this year I weighed 367.8 pounds, today I weighed in at 225.6 pounds, I’ve lost 142.2 pounds in a little over 9 months. No surgery / no drugs. My pants / waist size has dropped from a 54 to a 36. I was doing very little if any exercise - I’m now running 6+ miles a day (seven days a week).

The film:
I have acquired professional video and sound equipment to be able to shoot 24fps in HI-DEF. I’ve shot about 50 hours of digital film. I have scanned/collected/or shot nearly 2000 still shots (with Sarah’s help). I have plans for a dozen or more additional shoots/interviews/animation sequences. I have acquired music that I can and may use. I have established a relationship with a fantastic concert pianist to trade music for album cover and liner design. I’m approaching the worlds top musicians for music – big songs (I might be dreaming here, but I will know what the process is and at the least it will be a great experience in trying). I’m going to be getting a new editing system in January.

My goal is to make my first film, will it be any good? (it’d be nice if it was), but it’s tough work – it’s incredibly complicated, it’s my first try. I will do everything within my power to make it GREAT. But my goal is simply to make it. It’s challenge enough to lose weight, it’s been hard and time consuming and once I start editing it will only get tougher. But the film demands and the pressure of deadlines and the time involved promoting the film – bloging on the film / building a supportive site / all part of the game and also so much of the incentive that has helped me lose the weight. The two work together.

No weight loss – no film. No film – no weight loss. Art saves the artist - I think.

Surprises for 2008?
I’m surprised that I will have 40 lbs of excess skin (this will require surgery)

Hitting my first plateau – the first 120 pounds dropped like magic – almost exactly 5 pounds a week, for 6 months straight. The last 20 have been a battle! The next 20 will be too.

Complete strangers coming up to me to say I was inspiring them.

Complete strangers noticing my weight dropping.

How hard it is for me to talk in front of a camera.

How much social networking has added to my life.

Thanks for making 2008 my best year yet:
First to my family, my wife Kelli – (also an artist) working on dolls for a potential stop-frame animation sequence. I’m sorry for all the time away – hopefully this will change soon enough. My daughter Paige who I’m teaching to shoot – she’s done quite well, I can’t shoot myself. She’s a great actor herself and writer and artist. My daughter Sarah who has been shooting most of the stills. Sarah your work behind the camera is almost as stunning as when you are in front of the camera ☺. Max my son who is the “grip”, great work Max. To my Mom! She will surely get a Producers Credit. She’s funded a lot of the equipment thus far. Mom – that means if the film wins an Oscar for best documentary, you get the Oscar! Don’t hold your breath.

In setting up the whole deal – I have entered into the world of bloging and social networking. I did this as a part of the standard stuff you do to try to create hype for any film project. It’s my first time doing this sort of stuff. I’ve met some amazing people. I hesitate to call anyone out because so many have had such a profound positive effect on me. So much so that at the risk of offending all others (not my intent) I have to talk about three individuals.

First from Experience Project my friend BrokenBiscuit. You are an incredibly strong woman and I hope and pray that 2009 brings many blessings to you, I really appreciate your time and opinions and most of all I appreciate your dedication to your three sons. I’d pray for a blessing on them too but they already got that with you.

Star26 from Experience Project. You represent something rather incredible (even on a site like EP). You have walked through too many shadows and valleys for one so young. Your resolve to forgive others, to move forward in life, to keep a good attitude are all amazing. You have brought great perspective to my life in 2008. AND Snow Patrol! Thanks – Chasing Cars will forever bring you to my mind. One line in particular for which you set an example for us all - “I need your Grace to remind me to find my own”

And Jarka from Opera. The internet is full of so much junk, but as long as you are out there, going out of your way to be kind, bringing cheer and happiness, poetry, art, profound thoughts, photos of your adventures and your faith in Him – there will be some balance. Your friendship, kindness, encouragement and inspiration have been an important part of my 2008!

Thanks to all my friends for all the encouragement – and I wish you all a Happy New Year!

I weighed 225.6 today.

No comments: