Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Pain and weight gain

While i was running today I thought about blogging about pain. I can honestly say that since I started running I have never been without one pain or another. The shins splints early on were practically unbearable and the muscle pull of a few weeks ago pretty much stopped that run. But outside of those two somewhat debilitating injuries it's been one nagging little soreness after another. It's daily pain, every single day and it reminds me of my more athletic high school and college days when i was really into the wrestling. A friend of mine and I trained together quite seriously year round. We were in constant pain then too - nothing ever too serious - but i think anyone training hard always has something hurting or sore.

So as I'm thinking this (while running on the treadmill this morning) three things happen. First, and as quick as i stated to run, my butt is hurting! This started in Florida for the first time and seems as though it will be an issue for awhile - then half way through my right knee buckles and hurts - and finally with 15 minutes left the muscle pull comes back slightly. With 15 minutes to go i decide i really need to finish - but at the same time twice now I've pushed past the minor muscle pull only to have it really go bad. With 8 minutes to go - it went really bad! - I had to quit. I think there is a perception that because someone works out a lot and may even appear to be quite fit that they are "feeling great" too. I really believe they are more then likely hurting one way or another.

The second part of this lengthy blog is that I gained 18 pounds! This was no surprise to me at all. The last time I ran while on my trip to Florida was Wednesday evening. On Thursday and Friday I drove for a total of about 22 hours. I slept over at my brothers on Friday and drove another 16 hours on Saturday. I was so exhausted that I slept a good deal Sunday and skipped running that day too. So I had 4 days of no running. When I weighed in on Monday (first day back to the running I weighed 232.4 pounds! This is why I will be running everyday of my life till I die! It's just what I have to do. I know that from time to time circumstances will interrupt my routine though. And I also realize that this sort of gain goes away as quickly as it came. Yesterday I weighed 232.4 and today I was down to 224.4 an eight pound drop in one day. So the gain will be short lived.

Oh - one more pain - my new shoes are creating blisters on my big toes - ugh!

Today I weighed 224.4 pounds.

No comments: