Monday, January 19, 2009

till we meet again (in the blink of an eye)

I lost a great friend and mentor last Sunday (just found out last night). I blogged about Craig King back in early October of 2008. He had called to say goodbye because the doctors had only given him three days to live. He'd been struggling with a rare lung condition. He told me then he desperately wanted 3 more weeks. He got better then 3 months. His wife Pat commented on how thankful he was for that additional time. He was only 61 years old.

Craig was my Art Director almost 20 years ago when I worked at SBF, upon leaving SBF I hired Craig as free-lancer first at LDA and then here at Mayo Clinic. Craig was a well respected Designer/Contractor here at Mayo and had made many friendships here beyond my own. The hardest thing to do today was to simply let the others here know.

There's a thousand wonderful things I could say about Craig King - but I'll just say this to my GREAT friend - CRAIG you believed you had just 72 hours left - and you called to spend one of them with me - if the shoe's were swapped I'd a done the same.


They say you can't take it with you, but I think that they're wrong
'Cause all I know is I woke up this morning, and something big was gone
- bruce springsteen (Terry's song)


Goodbye, dear friend, I love you - and I'll see you again in the blink of an eye.

No comments: