Wednesday, October 1, 2008

the locker room towels

Today, for the first time, I attempted to wrap one of the locker room towels around my waist after my shower. It fit, I could actually wrap it around and tuck one end under the other and it stayed on without any problems. This should have been one of those wonderful little moments, but I had mixed emotions. When I started working out the towel was a good 20 inches short of even touching, let alone wrapping and staying on. I’ve been loosely holding the towel in front of myself.

I have a couple of over weight freinds who asked me about the facility and I said it was great but that the towels are no where near large enough. I've pointed this out a couple of times to the staff when the opportunity presented itself. Not in a complaining sort of way, rather that the smaller towels show a little lack of sensitivity. Many over weight people have body image issues, the smaller towels make it awkward. There aren’t a lot of over weight people working out there, I know the towel issue is keeping one friend away - she told me to tell her when it changes and she’ll sign up.

I don't think having a few larger towels would be a hard thing to do, but managing and sorting and seperating them would be very difficult. I'm guessing that they are going through 100's if not thousands of towels a day. The facility washes and drys and folds them daily. Then what size to get? The current size is 44 inches (one of the trainers told me this when I last pointed out the issue) if you got a 60 inch towel it would be no good to the person needing a 70 inch towel. I'm not saying this is a simple issue to solve but it would be worth the effort. I intend to point out the issue one more time in a more formal manner - perhaps to one of the higher up directors, in a nice letter. The folks working at this place really care, it's all about helping others get healthy - it may seem like a very small issue but it's really not.

I had the towel on like that for just a few seconds and I took it off. If the issue gets addressed in the future I'll wrap it on. It was only a couple of months ago I couldn't even think about these towels fitting me in this manner and I guess I'm feeling I need to have a little solidarity.

I weighed 250.0 today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dan, I go to the same facility, am overweight, and can't wrap the towels also....it bothers me, too. To deal with this, I have been bringing my own beach towel. And I feel really embarrassed.

Daniel Brevick said...

I thought about bringing my own towel too. The only towel I had that was big enough was a beach towel also. I understand the embarrassment, but don't stop coming, hopefully they'll remedy the issue soon.