Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Going to the contest tomorrow

I'll be leaving for the Federal Duck Stamp Competition tomorrow. My daughter Paige will be joining me and shooting some film for the documentary. It should be interesting. She has a piece in the contest also. I've been entering this contest since 1996, every year. I came in 7th place once. I've dreamt of winning this, it's very lucrative, instant national recognition, your art is added to the collection at the Smithsonian, you travel the country for a year attending various events to promote conservation and the stamp program. But oddly enough I don't care much about any of that stuff this year, this year winning it would be great because it would really be good for the film.

It would add an entirely interesting layer to the project. Some of the best documentaries have some sort of twist or unexpected event take place that really adds to the drama. This would really do that. I don't think I'm going to win though. The entries are all published online at http://outdoorsweekly.com/. I'm predicting that Adam Grims piece with the longtail drake and decoy will win or the Hautman piece with the mallard decoy. Both of these are so well done!

I weighed 248.8 today.

No comments: