Monday, October 6, 2008

Hair loss?

I'd like to think that I'm not so vain as to be concerned about this but that's just not the case (I guess I am that vain). I've noticed some thinning in my hair over the last few weeks. It's odd because it coincides with my increase in both calories and exercise. I'm of course still very conscience about taking the daily supplements. I've had my fair share of nutritional related hair loss. In high school and college I wrestled and cut a lot of weight to be competitive. My hair fell out (quite a bit), but in that case I'd go for days at a time on nothing but crushed ice. Weeks at a time where all I'd eat was a little lettuce. Supplements were out because they make you very ill without any food intake.

Now I'm getting all the nutrition (in theory at least) or does the hair falling out mean that I'm not??? If anyone has any knowledge that goes deeper on this issue I'd love to hear from you. I have been cursed with bad genetics where my weight is concerned - I accept that, but the full head of hair has been one of those positive genetic paybacks. Just a couple years ago Ronan Tynan told me I had the best head of hair he's ever seen on a man, I'd trade the hair for his voice in a second!

Maybe I'm just getting old?

I weighed 249.0 today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dan-you are correct in thinking that hair loss while dieting may be pointing toward other possible health-related issues --- i hope you check with your doc --- i know from personal experience that hair loss indicated a very bad drop in essential vitamins/nutrients to the point of anemia --- as it was explained to me, hair production is one of the last things to be fulfilled by the body --- so, if/when certain vitamin/nutrient/chemical levels fall below required levels, the body begins to shut down any non-essential needs in order to fuel the absolutely necessary ones ---- once i fell below the anemia line, it was a long road back to an even keel --- please be checking with your doc on this!