Sunday, May 17, 2009

pulled a muscle

It happened yesterday - Saturday. After running 7 + miles (in less then an hour) for two days in a row, I went ahead and tried for three in a row. Recently, as I have continued to increase my MPH's as soon as I reached a new plateau I would immediately back off and take a week or so to slowly work up again to the new level - not this time though (that was a big mistake). After just a couple of minutes of running my left leg started to hurt behind the knee - I noticed it and thought OK it's not too bad I can handle that. After about ten minutes I increased the speed and it hurt all the worse so I jumped off the treadmill (to the sides) and massaged the leg and that seemed to help. I then pushed the speed to 7.9 - (keep in mind that 8.1 has been my last 40 second sprint speed) with just a little more then 20 minutes into the run I felt a terribly sharp pain shoot through the same area. I jumped off again and tried to massage it again but it didn't work.

Thought maybe if I slowed the belt down I might be able to keep running (no that was crazy thinking) as soon as I started running again it was killing me again... so I had to quit - this is the shortest run yet - a little over 22 minutes. I could barely walk after. I thought for sure I'd not be able to run today - but I did. The leg was still hurting, but not nearly so bad and I only ran 5 miles in the hour - that was a really slow pace. But I got through it just fine. I am now and will continue to ice my leg - it's feeling a lot better already.

I weighed 214.8 today.

No comments: