Wednesday, July 1, 2009

good run + i'm going to Africa

Finally had all the little pains gone - it's been awhile for that. I really enjoyed the run for a change :)

In just 13 days I leave for Molo, Kenya. I'm volunteering at the Chazen Children's Centre orphanage. It's a fairly new organization in an area that has seen a fair share of tribal warfare recently. My role as volunteer is rather complex. I will be meeting with the directors (Lucy and Samuel) to gather information about their vision for CCC and to assist them in developing a brand/website/presence with the goal of attracting International Volunteers to help establish a sustainable and growing operation. This is in conjunction with a second documentary film I'm currently making about the concept of 'International Volunteering". It's a beautiful concept. The idea is for people who have a heart for volunteering to join these organizations for typically 2-3 months, while paying a small room and board fee - typically between $70-$90 a week. This money goes so far in Africa and can often be the main means of support for these organizations. The volunteers benefit by being completely immersed in the culture and in the lives of these children. The living is hard for most and the experience typically has a profound effect on the volunteers. Many have said Africa changes you.

I will also be afforded the opportunity to teach the kids art. I requested a donation of art supplies from Dick Blick, they will be shipping me a box of supplies this week. I really appreciate this generosity - I'm running up so much debt and was already planing to try to buy art supplies for 75+ kids in Nairobi. Hallmark/Crayola are currently also considering making a donation. I hope I can get some serious quantities of crayons :) according to a volunteer currently at Chasen, the crayons available in Kenya are not very good!

More to come on Africa - that's for sure!

I weighed 218.4 today.

No comments: